An annual engagement survey at CEMEX highlighted the need to significantly improve the maintenance records and reporting system. The paper-based system created a lot of duplication and inefficiencies. Managers and assistants were spending too much time filling in, checking and then filing reports. Downtime requests for maintenance were being lost or not communicated to everyone in the supply chain who needed to be informed.
A small team was set up in the asphalt team to review this. They developed an in-house solution that enabled real time reporting of defects on plant and the work carried out to rectify them. Every piece of machinery was labelled with a unique bar code. This enabled an operator to simply identify the item of plant by reading the bar code and then call up appropriate information on a mobile device. He is then able to complete simple reports inputting data such as the date, time, issues identified, checks completed, work undertaken and, if relevant, take photos. This information is stored in the cloud.
The whole system has been automated and paper reporting made redundant. Downtime can now be requested through an online form; this updates a calendar which can be viewed by all parts of the business. The downtime request is sent to the operations manager for approval. The system then notifies all parties that the request has been accepted or declined.
- Consistent formats of employee reports and filing
- QR codes ensure all relevant data connected to individual plant items
- Data capture easily achieved, recovered and interrogated.
- Information is stored forever in easily retrieved digital records
- Photo’s stored alongside other information (A picture saves a thousand words)
- Information easily shared between sites
- Easy for managers to progress and close out maintenance tasks
- Downtime requests managed efficiently with online form l Real time reporting facilitating rapid action on key issues l Ability to view downtime of other plants / areas.
- Planning of plant downtime can be based on other plants status.
- Monthly reports created and emailed
- Anyone with a mobile device can use the system.
- No paper required
- User friendly
- Further phases of development planned
- Automatically reporting defects to external contractors
- Contractors reporting work carried out on site.
- Assist contractors with invoice requirements.
- Contractor checks logging.
- PPM Scheme logging work that’s been done at the time